Thursday, April 8, 2010

Couscous Salad

This recipe is just a guideline, you can adjust it as you please. If I don't have the specific veggies it calls for I just use what I have available. It does not include meat but I like to include chicken, crab, or any other type of meat to make it more hearty.

2 C cooked Couscous - cooled to room temperature
1 Scallion sliced thin (If I don't have a scallion I like to use some sauted onion in it's place)
1 small Cucumber - peeled and diced
1 Tomato - diced
1 small Bell Pepper - seeded and diced
1/4 C Mozzarlla or Feta cheese crumbled/cubed
1 clove Garlic - minced or pressed
1 tblsp. Olive oil
2 tblsp. Red Wine or 1 tblsp. Balsamic Vinegar (I prefer the balsamic)
Basil, Oregano nd Pepper - to taste
Salt (optional) to taste
Roasted Red Peppers or Pimentos for garnish (optional) - I generally just add some crushed red pepper to the dressing

In a small bowl or cup, whisk together oil and vinegar. Mix in garlic and scallion and seasonings and set aside. Mix cooled couscous and vegetables. Add cheese and fold gently. Drizzle in dressing as you gently fold. Refrigerate until serving. Top with red peppers or pimentos for garnish.

Jeff and I really like this topped over lettuce or spinach. We line the bottom and sides of a bowl with lettuce and put the salad on top - creates a lettuce wrap feel and gives the dish an extra crunch. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment